Re: [Fis] meaning of meaning

From: S�ren Brier <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 11 Feb 2004 - 16:44:01 CET

Dear Loet

Shannon's information is based on the identification of a set of
possible states the system can be in giving a specific context, such as
communication with the alphabet. So it is dependent on a system too. in
Shannon's case it was about making technology for human communication.
Human meaningful communication was always the context!!

Now you say the specifications makes the meaning. I think it is the
meaningful existing being that makes the specifications. I do not see
any explanation of qualia. But I see a theory that uses them as
prerequisite for the models it makes. Thus it is not true to its
philosophical foundation. Eliminative materialism is self refuting and
functionalism just avoids the fundament questions. But to have a theory
of information, cognition and communication has an epistemology as and
therefore also an ontology as prerequisites. This has just been immanent
and down played.

I agree that information and meaning is cognition and communication
going on at two different levels! I think we can have information
without meaning, but not meaning without information!

You write: "The meaningful information adds to the probabilistic entropy
historically (with the axis of time), while meaning generation and
meaning processing feeds back on the arrow of time (potentially as
negentropy)." I do not understand this!! Information be meaningful
interpreted, and meaning can narrow the limits of information.

Peirce and Cybersemiotics is just an attempt to make a philosophical
frame that is reflective and consistent with our scientific theories. it
is not a grand solution in itself. I just ask the information processing
researchers to be consistent.

Kind regards

  Soeren

--