Re: [Fis] meaning of meaning

From: Dr. Shu-Kun Lin <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 11 Feb 2004 - 20:08:47 CET

Dear Pedro,

Let me prepare the following three paragraphs as a possible message sent
to my daughter who will go to college soon. Paragraph 1 has the same
M as 2. Paragraph 2 has about the same I as 2. The meaning is
"Study science, no art". Paragraph 3 is meaningless.
M is already in the title (a good title) or at least in the abstract
of a scientific paper. A meaning can be a unit vector. Many meanings
(short and clear statements) can span a space. Vector algebra can be used.

1. Study science, no art. Study science, no art. Study science, no art.
Study science, no art. Study science, no art. Study science, no art!
Study science, no art. Study science, no art. Study science, no art!
Study science, no art. Study science, no art. Study science, no art!

2. Science is great. Actually good scientists are creating arts, real
arts. Only crazy people like art. Now the fashionable post-impressionism arts
are emperor's new clothes. In science this never happens, except
Prigogine's entropy theory which I believe is a kind of post-impressionism.

3. Ask me for a suggestion what to learn? It depends. Science is great.
It is also bad. Art is great. Art is also bad. Ask your mother. Think about
it yourself. I will think about it after drinking a bottle of strong
whisky. Sometimes I like both. I hate to say it, bur I really do not know.

For paragraph 1 the message can be compressed easily. Therefore it has
less information (I), as information is defined as the amount of data compressed.
Hope this can illustrate M<I<D. A paragraph difficult to compress maybe
meaningless: a paragraph keyed in by a dog cannot be compressed.
I sent paragraph 3 to my daughter.

Shu-Kun

--
Dr. Shu-Kun Lin
Molecular Diversity Preservation International (MDPI)