Re: [Fis] A definition of Information

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 13 Feb 2004 - 23:26:12 CET

> Hello Stan: I appreciated your quick response. You say that Information
>is any constraint on entropy production. What this implies is that
>information is a constraint on the production of disorder ( another term
>for entropy) which can only happen if there is the introduction of order.
>The only way we can consider the concept of order as opposed to disorder
>is by means of some differentiating attribute; some meaning about the
>thing that is "ordered" as opposed to "disordered". This is of course
>radically different from the philosophical perspective taken by Shannon
>and followers. Your thoughts? And thanks. Syed

Syed -- Remember that much entropy production is a by-product of order
production by agents. It is for that reason that entropy production is the
most general appreciation of material dynamics. Whatever happens produces
entropy from dissipated gradients. Now, as to whether or not the reason
for anything happening IS in order to produce entropy, I like to note that
we are in a radically disequilibrated world (otherwise we could not be
here). Then, (assuming that the Universe is isolated) we know that it's
strong tendency is to move toward equilibrium. Now, using the
specification hierarchy: {physical world {material world {biological world
{{{etc.}}}}, we can see that it is possible to allocate explanation to
different integrative levels. So, at the material level we can say that
whatever happens has the purpose of producing entropy. At the biological
level we find several possible purposes (final causes). For example
Darwinians say that whatever happens serves to increase the "fitness" of
populations. So, {entropy production {fitness increase}}. And so on. At
the sociocultural level, one agency's order may be another's disorder --
consider our favorite pasttime, war. So, yes, I agree that parsing events
into order or disorder requires a system of interpretance to make the
decision. From the Universe's point of view, they would all be equal!
     Now, if the Big Bang had not been so acceleratedy rapid, this problem
of returning to equilibrium would not be with us (nor would we be here).
WE are constraints on entropy production because we are part of the
material accumulations on the surface of the earth as a result of some of
the Sun's energy being captured rather than being serenely reflected off
into space. Because we ARE we must serve that greatest Deity, the Second
Law -- even by dying!