Re: [Fis] Organicism

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Sun 15 Feb 2004 - 22:42:32 CET

re Jerry's posting, (1) I wonder if he woud define what he means by
orgnicism. As well (2) what is the difference between "chemical atoms" and
"logical atoms"?
     Jerry asks which philsophy -- mathematical or "organic" is invoked
when using hierarchy theory. The answer is clear to me inmy work. The
hierarchical structures themselves e mathematical in nature. Hierarchy
makes a mathematically based theory or model of material (not just organic)
relations.
     Jerry's "organicism", he says, is "grounded in chemical symbols".
Would this conform to the usage of Joseph Needham or Luwig von Bertalanffy,
Whithead, Ross Harrison or Paul Weiss? Somehow I don't think so, inasmuch
as levels are visualized in part in order to eschew the characteristic
downward reductionism of biology.
     Jerry's "I pointed out that families of words, words all derived from
the same root, bear a logical resemblance >to one another. This quality of
resemblance is extremely useful in describing organicism. As a method of
>communication, the "family of a root" provides a basis for logical
extension from less perplex objects to more >perplex objects" Here what
comes to my mind is biological systematics -- taxonomy. It is a branching
system relations that can be modeled as a specificaion hierarchy -- one
branch would be: {animal {primate {human}}}. This is all just standard
logic, and has been modeled mathematically, I believe.
     Jerry asks: " Or, the question can poised in another manner: On what
grounds can mathematical symbols be >claimed to be superior to chemical
symbols for the purpose of representation of matter?" I would suggest the
answer is that mathematical systems can be productive, by way of
mathematical manipulatons. In addition, mathematical sysmbols can
represent anything,while chemical symbols can represent only chemicals. In
the context of hierarchy -- say, the scale hierarchy -- does Jerry think we
should represent the brain by way of its chemicals?

STAN