Re: [Fis] Meaningful Information vs Information

From: Rafael Capurro <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 24 Feb 2004 - 11:43:52 CET

Viktoras,

thanks for your excellent explanation. I follow from it that we can operate
with *different* concepts of *meaning*: what is meaningful for one system is
not meaningful for the other and there is no possibility of a *reductionary*
explanation (I agree with Soeren...). I have no problem with
*de-centralizing* our own capacities (our selves/ourselfs) but as far as we
know, we are the only beings capable of grasping all these different kinds
of *meanings* AS meanings. In some way such kind of being must exist beyond
what is actually *meaningful* for the system otherwise it would not be able
to grasp all these different kinds of meaning AS meaning. I would say that
for us the (a?) condition of possibility for this is given through our
*knowing* of our own death (contrary to Plato that stated that we can grasp
meaning AS meaning, i.e. as *ideas* because we belong to a higher real of
(eternal) beings.). So, no question of *expanding* the concept of meaning if
we take care of semantics: it is not the same thing to say 'something has
some *meaning* (or *is meaningful*) for something/a given (non-human)
system' as to say: 'a system can grasp meaning AS meaning' (and make all
these differences you mention). If we say, on the contrary, every system for
which anything/some thing can be meaningful can *therefore* (or ipso facto,
if you want) grasp meaning AS meaning, then we have again a *soup* in which
everything is like everything (or Hegel's famous dictum about the night
where all cows are black: Schelling's philosophy of identity).
In short: That something is *meaningful* to something does not imply that
something can grasp this meaning AS such and much less that it can gras
meaning AS meaning. It is we who makes these meaningful differences. I see
now 'anthropocentric' in this. This would be the case if we would say, as
you say, that things only make sense to us. This is not my point.
I just wanted to make more clear these differences. Otherwise I can see not
too much meaning in some of our discussions. (sorry for this third mail, I
promise not to answer the possible meaningful answers to this answer)
cheers
Rafael