Re: [Fis] A definition of Information

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Sun 29 Feb 2004 - 00:33:09 CET

Replying to S�ren's interesting questions, see interleavings:

>Dear Stan
>Then I did get it right the first time. My question is again how this
>view fits with being a pansemiotician
     SS: One relevant approach would be to look at how the different
semioses as outlined by John Deely relate to each other: {physiosemiosis
{chemosemiosis {biosemiosis {anthroposemiosis}}}}. Each level of semiosis
emerges from the more generally present one to its left. In a big picture,
each one to the right could be seen to be an interpretant generated by the
one to its left.

>, and how you see it fitting with a Peircean semiotic evolutionary
>philosophy.
>In other words where is mind and meaning?
     SS: Following Peirce, we can have {Universal Mind {inorganic realm
{organic realm {biological realm {human cognitive realm}}}}}. Each realm
is an intensification of the prior one (the subclass to its left).

>I presume that when you talk of energy you are using
>standard physical language.
     SS: Yes. As in the prior message below.

>So how does energy, information and
>semiotics fit together in a theory of FIS in your framework.
     SS: Information would generally be any restriction or constraint on
variety or possibilities. Meaning emerges from such restrictions when a
system of interpretance generates interpretants on the basis of such
restriction. A system of interpretance can be any system (abiotic or
biotic) that can modify its form or behavior after encountering a
constraint in its environment. I have elaborated on these things in
Semiotica 120:381-394; 127: 481-495, 134:359-380.

 Do you have
>a coherent and internal consistent theory developed?
    SS: I would say rather that I am working on it.

STAN