Re: [Fis] A definition of Information

From: Soeren Brier <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 01 Mar 2004 - 00:55:39 CET

Dear Stan and all

I am going to Greece tomorrow and do not know how much I can get to the mail, so I will try to make a kind of summary of the discussions we have had, which I think have been very fruitful. I have already sent my opinions and questions to Loet's last productive scheme, so this one goes for Stan's and then sums up.

Dear Stan: I though that if one is a pansemiotician there are no objects in the sense of materialistic physics, but only signs? Therefore I cannot understand how the physical level can be the most general one. In my interpretation it would be Firstness. We would thern have to understand that the laws of physics are only approximations and only works because the law of mind is rather rigid at this stage.

The other problem that has been brought up is the question of when we can say that a system is alive. I have suggested Autopoiesis to be one criteria, together with those other specification criterie Jesper Hoffmeyer developed. But that has been viewed at outdated (but without a more comprehensive theory) and you stated that individuals could be only physical and not alive biologically speaking. We lack a good solution here. (I have so far not been able to understand Koichiro's and yours idea of Internalism or what the new contribution is.)

In combinations with the first mentioned problems this leaves me pusseled and unsatiesfied. In Cybersemiotics I am looking for this fruitful way of integrating a Peircian semiotic view with the cybernetic, thermodynamical and informational. A frame work that can unite yours and Loets perspectives with phenomenology. As a biologist I think you stay too much in the physical-chemical systems and Loet in the psychological-social-linguistc systems. If we give up Descartes dualism we have to make a new either monistic or triadic frame work as far as I can see. As we do not belive - as Spinoza did - that we can make an objective metaphysical language, we know that our views are generated on the back drop of a social-cultural consciousness.

When Rafael and others complains that these systems thinking frames becomes too all-encompassing like dialectical materialism my questions is then: what is the alternative if not an unreflected metaphysics and epistemology? Our metaphysics is at least a reflected one, knowing that it will never be the last word.

Thanks for some very good discussions.