Re: [Fis] A definition of Information (II)

From: Viktoras Didziulis <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 09 Mar 2004 - 01:44:18 CET

Dear Pedro, Stan

Nevertheless, I would think there are many examples of these 'Maxwellian
demons' working in biological or technological systems. Let's take as an
example the control of circulation of H+, Na+, K+ ions between cells and
their environments. I would think any process with cybernetic control
mechanism in fact implies 'a working' case of the 'Maxwelian demon'. That's
also why temperature of our bodies is always 36-37 deg. Celsius and does not
fluctuate (much) because of changes in temperature of our environments
meanwhile the 2nd law acts so as to minimize this difference. Any cybernetic
system (body/machine) tries to evade the second law. And meaningful
information is
needed for its control. Thus the 2nd law plays here a very important role -
it has to be resisted by a system and therefore evaded. And some biological
systems
are very succesfull at this. For example colonies of hydroids is an example
of
multicellular immortality. They do not experience natural death, they can
only be
killed by external forces, environmental conditions, predators. Also
bacterial
cells do not senesce, but their lives rely on conditions of the environment
they live in.

Best regards
Viktoras