RE: [FMG-SPAM] - Re: [Fis] a definition of information - Bayesian Filter detected spam

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 09 Mar 2004 - 18:47:36 CET

Dear Soeren,

You wrote: "The meaning processing in discourse is much richer than the
lower order systems because it is no longer biologically constrained."

This is the traditional humanistic-social science understanding of
language. But the new understanding is that it is. We are just not aware
of it. The core of our ability to express our selves is not so much a
grammatical and logical generative model as it is our bio-social
embodiment. I would claim that living systems with differently
organized bodies would not be able to understand our words. As
Wittgenstein said "If a Lion could talk, we could not understand it."

Even if the two dynamics of biological life and the self-organization of
language and meaning are structurally coupled, then one expects an
asymmetrical relation between these two dynamics. That is the point! In
addition to a co-variation (or mutual information) one expect remaining
variation on both sides. This remaining variation on the linguistic side
is proliferating far faster than on the biological side because it does
not have to be embodied.

In general, it makes no sense to explain a larger variation in terms of
a smaller one. Since the other species (e.g., the lions) do not
contribute to the relevant biological variation, the biological
variation is limited to human beings.

Similarly, in the social studies of science, one has attempted to
explain scientific ideas in terms of social interests and belief
structures. However, systems of rationalized expectations can expand
more rapidly than normatively integrated belief structures. It is the
same mistake.

I hope that you can follow the argument, It is a bit technical. Another
way to say it is that the when two systems interact they determine each
other in the interaction, but only condition each other in the remaining
variance. They reproduce in terms of the total variation of each system,
respectively. The determination in the interaction is less important for
the system producing and reproducing the larger variation. Thus, we
should not invert the order for the explanation.

With kind regards,

Loet