Re: [Fis] A definition of Information

From: Jesper Hoffmeyer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 16 Mar 2004 - 14:46:35 CET

Hi, Stan, S�ren and John

Just dumping in on the latest exchanges: As you
know I am neither a Peirce scholar or a
philosopher, but it seems to me that the
following quote from the 1891 paper in the Monist
"The Architecture of Theories" points to an
ontological interpretation of the law of habit
taking as I prefer to call it (because people
invariably identifies mind with human mind, which
was definitely not what Peirce had in mind):

"In the beginning - infinitely remote - there was
a chaos of unpersonalized feeling, which being
without connection or regularity would properly
be without existence. This feeling, sporting here
and there in pure arbitrariness, would have
started the germ of a generalising tendency. Its
other sportings would be evanescent, but this
would have a growing virtue. Thus, the tendency
to habit would be started; and from this, with
the other principles of evolution, all the
regularities of the universe would be evolved."
(Peirce 1931-35) CP 6.33).

Jesper

--
-