[Fis] A definition of Information

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 17 Mar 2004 - 18:18:02 CET

Dear colleagues,

I don't think that meaning is generated in individual minds, but in
practices and languages among human beings. Meaning is then reflected in
the minds of individuals. The next-order system is constructed
bottom-up, but once in place control is top-down. Individuals may have
some discretionary room for changing meaning at the supra-individual
level (by communicating) and the reflection can be idiosyncratic.

Of course, one can also use the concept of meaning metaphorically in
relation to other systems. When I say, for example, that eating
chocolates is meaningful for my stomach, I am conflating psychological
meaning with a physiological one. Thus, we can derive a concept of
meaning at the level of general systems theory. (Let me recall that
information can be defined one-step more abstract, namely
mathematically.) The notion of meaning at the level of general systems
theory, however, can no longer be identified with psychological meaning.
That would be another conflation.

In summary, meaning is generated at the supra-individual level (in
practices and by languaging). We are able to develop a generalized
notion of meaning. The psychological mind is then one among other
possible systems of reference, but can no longer be considered as having
an epistemological priority.

Philosophically, one could then ask how I can "know" this or "say" this
as a person. My answer would be: because I am grounded in a discourse. I
store meanings which I get from literature and practices. These meanings
can be used reflexively.

With kind regards,

Loet

Jesper/Hoffmeyer