Re: [Fis] The timings of meaning

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 19 Mar 2004 - 23:48:04 CET

Reacting to Pedro's posting below: It seems clear to me, as one who enjoys
drumming (the bottoms of empty Adrirondack brand plastic seltzer water
bottles make a nice simulacrum of the Indian tabla drum, with maybe 4 or 5
different sounds possible), that the rate at which a message is attended to
in combination with its rate of delivery can significantly alter its
meaning. (This may not be so significant with written words, of course.)
In the spirit of the alternate reading frames for DNA sequences, one could
imagine that parallel processors (like a small band of drummers!) could
generate, by way of rythmic reinforcements, all kinds of meta-messages.
That is, if computers would incorporate differential rates of processing in
parallel, we could have a new "music" of computation. Of course, Howard
Pattee has distinguished between dynamics and rate independent
informational constraints, and here I am (deliberately)conflating
infrmation with dynamics.

STAN