Re: [Fis] The timings of meaning

From: S�ren Brier <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 31 Mar 2004 - 11:08:03 CEST

As I see it then Ted Gorenson's and Robert Ulanowicz general approaches
stands for the two opposite paradigms we have discussed. 1. One that
want to introduce the concept of communication into nature such as the
biosemioticians and 2. one that wants to fit an information concept into
the existing materialistic mechanistic view of nature that science so
far has build on. Many of these have partly acknowledged Prigogine's
claim for a paradigm of complexity and irreversibility opposing material
mechanicism, but they still view nature as dead and rules by universal
laws of nature. Some add an idea of systems, evolution and emergence on
this view, using the emergence idea to explain the creation of life,
first person experience and later consciousness. To me emergence is a
description not a (causal) explanation.

--
Venlig hilsen/Best wishes S�ren Brier
Handelsh�jskolen K�benhavn/Copenhagen Business School