Re: [Fis] Szilard's Engine and Information

From: Dr. Shu-Kun Lin <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 06 Apr 2004 - 16:12:36 CEST

Dear Michael,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful paper which I read from the
first line to the last line. I would like to bring
to your attention our very recent special issue published in ENTROPY
on the topic "Quantum Limits to the Second Law of Thermodynamics"
at http://www.mdpi.net/entropy/list04.htm.

You are invited to contribute this paper, after revision, on this
related topic to
ENTROPY for consideration and publication. Please send your manuscript
by e-mail to Michel (E-mail: entropy@mdpi.org,
petitjean@itodys.jussieu.fr).
Other colleagues, if you have a long piece, please send to Michel
for possible publication. Michel is the Editor-in-Chief of ENTROPY.
You know Michel is the "Chair" of the on-going session we are attending
at FIS
right now.

Regarding the related entropy of mixing (Delta S), it is certain that
the entropy of mixing is an information theoretical entropy
because there is no heat involved. It should not be taken as a typical
thermodynamic entropy (Delta S). Mixing of two chiral molecules
gas R and gas L you mentioned cannot be a thermal process. Therefore,
it is not a thermodynamic process in an heat engine. Mixing of R
and L cannot be used to generate mechanical work. This is a fact.
When we discuss the engine and related possibility of energy
conservation, this fact
must be kept in mind.

If the mixing of gas R and gas L would create work (a kind of mechanical
energy
calculated as distance times force), one should be able to also create
mechanical work by
mixing red color and black color.

(Pedro, I will also be silent until the next week).

Best regards,
Shu-Kun