Re: [Fis] FIS / introductory text / 5 April 2004

From: Igor Rojdestvenski <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 07 Apr 2004 - 15:40:28 CEST

Dear Pedro,

You wrote
> In the multiplicity of information forms, isn't 'meaning' the invariant
> element that we try to convey, translate, etc., among the different and
> multifarious transformations we perform on information? Much like energy
> itself was the invariant in the above forms, as Mayer and Joule hinted...

Well, this statement is quite strong. In fact, I think that the meaning
comes as a result of interaction between the information and the context,
and it depends strongly on the context. It is interesting to read what
Nalimov wrote in his "In the labyrinths of language: a mathematician's
journey".

Igor