Re: [Fis] About entropy metaphors

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 13 Apr 2004 - 22:32:12 CEST

Supporting Guy's posting below, I like to put it more formally in the form
of a specification hierarchy, as {physical world {material world
{biological world {human sociocultural world}}}}. Each realm (or
integrative level) is a refinement of the more generally present ones,
emerging upon the appearance of new informational constraints. Here it is
clear that all phenomena are physical, even though many are more than
physical. But being more than physical does not equal transcedence. It
means that further constraints are bearing upon some systems, hemming them
in with a greater burden of information. To be human is to be more than
biological AND material AND physical. To be, say, an icicle is just to be
more than material and physcal.

STAN