[Fis] probabilistic entropy

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 16 Apr 2004 - 19:25:12 CEST

>so, experimental data ARE at the basis of science.

Dear Michel,

I understand the sentiment, but the statement is not true. The data are
measurement results which can be considered as probability
distributions. Thus, the expected information content of these
distributions and the meaning which these are given in (highly codified)
discourses provide the basis of science.

In the philosophy of science, this is also called "the linguistic turn"
associated with Carnap, Quine, and others. I would not consider the
communications as purely linguistic utterances, because the
communication is also symbolically mediated. The data play a role larger
than an external referentiel.

With kind regards,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

 <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff-sci.htm> The Challenge of
Scientometrics ; <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff.htm> The
Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society