[Fis] Re: Probabalistic Entropy

From: Michel Petitjean <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 20 Apr 2004 - 18:06:39 CEST

To: <fis@listas.unizar.es>
Subj: [Fis] Re: Probabalistic Entropy

Dear FISers;

Michael Devereux <dbar_x@cybermesa.com> said:
> I don=92t agree that =93Shannon=92s formula is derived from=20
> probability theory, outside any physical field of application....=94=20

You are right, Michael. The correct formulation should have been:
<< Shannon's formula is derivable from probability theory, outside
any physical field of application... >>, just as theorems are derivable
(derived) from axioms.
(I admit that the viewpoint above is a little provocative).
Here, the "field of application" appears via a mathematical
model for information science. Information theory is a mathematical
theory, one of its field of application being information systems.

You are again right in mentioning Boltzmann about the H-theorem,
which was surely known to von Neuman and Shannon.
The H-theorem is itself prooved within the framework of a model.
Statistical physics is one of the most powerful models known in science.
Boltzmann was a pioneer, and merit to be considered as one of the
greatest modellers for ever. I do not want to ignore his invaluable
contribution to modern science.

Michel Petitjean Email: petitjean@itodys.jussieu.fr
Editor-in-Chief of Entropy entropy@mdpi.org
ITODYS (CNRS, UMR 7086) ptitjean@ccr.jussieu.fr
1 rue Guy de la Brosse Phone: +33 (0)1 44 27 48 57
75005 Paris, France. FAX : +33 (0)1 44 27 68 14
http://www.mdpi.net http://www.mdpi.org
http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.html
http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.freeware.html