RE: [Fis] Re: miscellanea / temperature / symmetry

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 22 Apr 2004 - 20:33:46 CEST

Dear Guy,

I can follow Michel, but I don't understand your intervention.
Probabilistic entropy is a measure of dividedness, not of symmetry.
Symmetry is a geomterical property, while probabilistic entropy provides
an information calculus. Perhaps, a numerical example would be helpful.
Can you provide one?

For example, if we take a symmetrical distribution of relative
frequencies like 3,2,1,1,2,3, the entropy in this distribution would be
similar to any other order of it. For example: 1,1,2,2,3,3. One can use
probabilistic entropy for optimization of the dividedness, for example,
in grouping and clustering. But I cannot easily think of an entropy
measure that would enable us to distinguish between these two series.

Can you -- or perhaps Shu-Kun -- explain why you nevertheless argue in
this way? It is not sufficient to tell us that one concept is "more
powerful" than another without a demonstration.

With kind regards,

Loet