Re: [Fis] miscellanea

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 22 Apr 2004 - 23:37:20 CEST

Pedro said:

>1. The relationship between temperature and entropy. No one has talked
>about temperature yet --except Loet indirectly, when he introduces
>'dimensions' in thermodynamic entropy. For temperature is also energy,
>joules (or calories), like heat; and the Boltzmann's constant only takes
>care of the disparaging energy units, as the Kelvin degree is a mere
>minuscule fraction of the joule: some 10 exp 23. Temperature is but the
>average energy per degree of freedom (and the change of entropy becomes an
>abstract metric on the dispersion of the energy carriers). I follow Frank
>Lambert in this encapsulation (www.entropysite.com).

>From my point of view, temperature is measurable related to the concept of
entropy (= disorder), but not in any simple way. If a system is
compressed, it heats up, and its maximum possible entropy decreases. If it
expands, it cools, and its maximum possible entropy increases (there can be
more complexions of its particles). But, looking at this cooling example
in detail, there become more possibilities for transient local decreases in
entropy (or regimes of information). That is, the distance between Smax
and Slocal increases on average as long as the expansion continues. After
it stops, the entropy will gradually incease to maximum globally as the
local regimes dissipate. In the compression case, even though Smax is
decreasing, most of the system's locales are less informed, and nearer to
thermodynamic equilibrium.