RE: [Fis] Re: miscellanea / temperature / symmetry

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Sun 25 Apr 2004 - 08:58:02 CEST

> SS: Is "/pi" really '/ Sigma pi'? Then this formula
> would be a kind
> of 'efficiency'! In any case, phenomenologically, I must
> always increase in expanding or growing systems, or in the
> environment of a system learning about its environment.
> Isn't there some constraint on the application of this formula?
>
> STAN

Dear Stan and colleagues,

For those of you interested in applying these formulas I brought now
on-line <http://www.leydesdorff.net/SoNetworks91/SoNetworks91.pdf> The
Static and Dynamic Analysis of Network Data Using Information Theory,
Social Networks 13 (1991) 301-45. Various applications of the formulas
can be found in my 1995-book
<http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff-sci.htm> The Challenge of
Scientometrics: The development,
<http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff-sci.htm> measurement, and
self-organization of scientific communications (Leiden: DSWO/Leiden
University Press).

Currently, I find most interesting that a p(i) = 0 in the a priori
distribution and a q(i) > 0 a posteriori can be appreciated as
emergence. The division by zero leads to infinity of the expected
information value of the emerging event. It is a complete surprise. One
can only assess the new configuration from an a posteriori perspective,
that is, by inverting the time axis. Of course, this can be related to
Rosen's (1985) theory of anticipatory systems. Anticipatory systems are
systems that assess themselves reflexively.

With kind regards,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

 <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff-sci.htm> The Challenge of
Scientometrics ; <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff.htm> The
Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society