[Fis] definition(s) of order/disorder ?

From: Michel Petitjean <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 28 Apr 2004 - 09:37:38 CEST

To: <fis@listas.unizar.es>
Subject: [Fis] definition(s) of order/disorder ?

Dear FISers,

More than 70 messages were emitted since the beginning of the
session, discussing about entropy and information, and sometimes
about symmetry.
Nevertheless, the relations of these concepts with order and disorder
has been little evoked.
There are definitions for information, entropy, and symmetry.
I am convinced that order (or disorder) merits its own definition,
and that, once this definition is exhibited, we could work to
establish relations with other concepts. Existence of order and
disorder only through intuitive assertions is not satisfactory.
Does somebody could exhibit physical or mathematical definitions
of order or disorder, apart from "entropy is disorder" ?

Michel Petitjean Email: petitjean@itodys.jussieu.fr
Editor-in-Chief of Entropy entropy@mdpi.org
ITODYS (CNRS, UMR 7086) ptitjean@ccr.jussieu.fr
1 rue Guy de la Brosse Phone: +33 (0)1 44 27 48 57
75005 Paris, France. FAX : +33 (0)1 44 27 68 14
http://www.mdpi.net http://www.mdpi.org
http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.html
http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.freeware.html