Re: [Fis] Re: Only One Entropy

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 03 May 2004 - 23:11:31 CEST

Michel said:

>...Now, I assume that our knowledge of some physical
>system is so deep, that we are able to produce a mathematical
>model working perfectly at any level and scale. Here again,
>I consider that the system and its model are two different entities.
>It is why, in some practical situations dealing with entropy, I consider
>that the informational entropy is able to modelize the physical entropy,
>but IS NOT the physical entropy. If the two entropies are the same,
>informational entropy has at least to work in all situations where
>thermodynamical entropy is measured. This is difficult to believe.
>And what about the converse ? I cannot see thermodynamics
>in all fields in which informational entropy is used.

     SS: What is needed here is scalar hierarchy theory. The Shannon
equation for informational entropy (variety) could be applied by an
observer that could change scale to any system at any scale. So,
Boltzmann's disorder would be experenced by a microscopic observer to be
variety of configurations per some unit of time as seen in a given
direction from that observer's position. The unit of time would
automatically be scaled to the observer's "metabolic rate", such that it
would change with the observer's scale (giving what I have called a 'cogent
moment' for each scale). The lack of knowledge of the total number of
possible configurations as seen from that locale would, of course, be
handled statistically. In this way the changling observer could compare
the variety of complexions at many different scales, and, as well, compare
them as seen from some chosen analytical scale.