[Fis] Re: quantum entropy

From: by way of <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 07 May 2004 - 11:09:33 CEST

(Dear fis colleagues, let me introduce in the list this 'inscription
exchange' with Thorsten and Sergey; the topic dovetails with current
discussions and looks much exciting regarding our future approaches to
quantum information---Pedro)

Dear Pedro,

thank you for your quick reply to Sergei. He is much interested
in the meaning of entropy in the non-equilibrium quantum case.
Although the correspondence is not perfect, most people believe
that in the quantum case the Wigner function plays the role of
the probability. Unfortunately, the Wigner function is not
always positive which implies that the traditional formulation
of entropy S=-\sum_i p_i \ln(p_i) has to be revised, otherwise
there appears the logarithm of negative arguments.

I hope that Sergei and perhaps other people of the forum can
contribute to these exciting problems.

Best, Thorsten

> OK, Sergei, I am including you into FIS. We are currently into a
> duscussion on entropy and information. You may have a glance at the
> fis site: http://fis.iguw.tuwien.ac.at/fisspecials/einfo.html
> and also at: http://fis.iguw.tuwien.ac.at/mailings/

> all the best
>
> Pedro
>
> At 13.46 6/5/04 +0200, you wrote:
>
> > Dear Pedro,
> >
> > I start to work with the problems of the quantum entropy
> > and Thorsten Poeschel recommended me to request you about.
> > Please, be so kind, to send me some information if you have it.
> > Also the email service FIS, which mentioned Thorsten (see below his
> > message to me).
> >
> > Best regards and thanks in advance,
> >
> > Sergey Trigger
> >
> > Berlin, 6 May 2004

Thorsten Poeschel thorsten.poeschel@charite.de
Humboldt-Universitaet/Charite phone: +49/(0)30-450-528038
Institut fuer Biochemie fax: +49/(0)30-450-528919
Monbijoustrasse 2
D-10117 Berlin http://bioinf.charite.de/thorsten/