RE: [Fis] Is all information also physical entropy?

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 07 May 2004 - 23:32:32 CEST

Loet said:

> Dear Michael, It seems that we still disagree. I agree that
>everything can eventually be described with physics, but I don't agree
>with the reductionism implied in your vision.

     I would like to elaborate on this briefly. Using a specification
hierarchy to model the information relations of the world, we have:
{physical realm {material realm {biological realm {sociopolitical
realm}}}}. Note that all the integrative levels above the physical are
refinements of physical information. That is to say that, yes indeed,
anything at any level could have a physical expression or interpretation,
BUT this would be (depending upon how you construct it) either a more
general statement (like 'object' instead of 'house'), or a more vague
statement -- '?' instead of 'house', We have as yet no logic of vagueness,
and so we don't know how to make a vaguer statement of 'house'. This is
not reductionism because the full meaning of 'house is not captured in
'object'. I am supposing that that meaning might be captured in '?', but
it would not be detailed enough to allow complete understanding of 'house'.
It would be like seeing the gouse through bathroom window glass!