RE: [Fis] Materialism vs. Idealism

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 19 May 2004 - 08:16:30 CEST

Dear Stan and colleagues,

The link between 'knowledge' and 'information' is provided by 'meaning.'
Information can be provided with meaning by a receiving system. Meaning
codifies the information. Knowledge can be considered as codified
meaning.

Information is generated by communication (of whatever is communicated).
Given the substance of the communication, some systems are able to
receive the incoming (Shannon-type) information and to process it, for
example, by providing it with meaning. For example, I can receive your
email messages, but the sound of your words cannot be received through
this list.

Some systems (e.g., human beings) can again communicate this meaning as
information. Meaning is then generated at the level of the social
system. Within this system the further codification of meaning can lead
to discursive knowledge, while within each of the agents personal
knowledge can be stored and made operational. The two types of knowledge
are mutually informing each other.

Otherwise, I disgree with Stan that "information theory deals with
material carriers of information." The mathematical theory of
communication abstracts from the material carriers. However, this theory
can be made useful as a heuristics and a statistics for empirical
theories when one specifies what is communicated in the system of
reference. For example, if the system of reference communicates in terms
of molecules, a biological theory of communication can be specified
which can be studied with the help of the mathematical theory of
communication.

My interest is specifically with meaning-processing systems. It is not
so obvious that the "material carriers" of information matter in this
case. For example, we are able to communicate the same contents on paper
or electronically.

With kind regards,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

 <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff-sci.htm> The Challenge of
Scientometrics ; <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff.htm> The
Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society