Re: [Fis] definition(s) of order/disorder ?

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 24 May 2004 - 23:08:08 CEST

Gyorgy said:

>Devin's classification into "symmetric" and "grouping" order deserves
>attention.
>Maybe it worths to be compared (then merged?) with my classes of order,
>which I mentioned before in this forum:
>
>- Atoms in a crystal are ordered (equal density), a glass is disordered
>(random density within the glass) --- this is a symmetric approach (or
>crsytallographic approach);

     SS: This very first statement is the one I question herein. It seems
to me that both of these are symmetrical. If we observe from within either
of these situations, there would be no difference found depending upon the
direction in which look. It seems we would need some time course process
from one to the other where we observe at a time before completion from a
location where the transition could be seen in order to see a disorderly
scene. Does this obsevation point out a problem with the symmetry = (a
kind of) order formulation from the point of view of actually making
observations -- that is, from a scientific point of view?