Re: [Fis] definition(s) of disorder/chaos

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 26 May 2004 - 00:00:10 CEST

I would like to make a reply to Michel's:

He said:
>Some minor questions:
>- are the measure(s) of order/disorder/chaos changed when the space unit
>is changed ?
>- are the measure(s) of order/disorder/chaos changed when the time unit is
>changed ?

In scalar hierarchy theory, when we shift the focal (observational)level
from scale to another, both space and time units are changed. Upper level
time units contain many moments of lower level time units, but process
continues in the same relation to an observer's internal time (driven by
its 'metabolic rate'), which changes as it changes scale. But it is clear
that processes at scales larger than the observer's must take place orders
of magnitude more slowly, and processes at scales lower than the observers
must take place orders of magnitude more rapidly than processes at the
focal level. So, for example, if we imagine observing nested isolated
systems at three different scales, equilibrium will be approached much more
rapidly (from a middle level point of vew) inside the many smallest scale
isolates than at the middle level, and it will take place much more slowly
(from a middle level point of vew)within the upper level isolate (as the
middle levels ones equilibrate). In respect to the relation between the
Shannon and Boltzmann formulations of entropy, we could say that if we are
observing at the middle level, we would treat the lower level dynamics with
Boltzmann, and the higher level ones with Shannon. The implication of this
is that entropic (disordering)processes must be taking place at all scales
in the material world, even if we only call that happening in the lowest
level 'physical entropy'.
     This raises the problem of objectivity in thermodynamics/infodynamics.
It is likely that this discourse is subjective. Usable energy gradients
are not avilable to all. Work relates to the "goals" of given systems --
gradients will all dissipate, faster or slower, but only some systems will
be able to tap into only some gradients for exergy before the gradient is
dissipated below the level where they can get enough. Toradoes can utilze
open hot air as a fuel source. We cannot. This depends upon the
informational relations between gradient and consumer.
In short, snce nothing can be built without dissipating something else, the
journey toward equilibrium must be happening at all scales (assuming the
Universe to be isolated), even though it is only clearly visible at the
smallest scales within experiments.