RE: [Fis] Information and communication

From: Viktoras Didziulis <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 27 May 2004 - 06:43:37 CEST

Thanks for the notice, Aleks

In fact I wanted to emphasize the CA not just as a "simplified modeling
technique" but rather as "the building blocks of the real Universe" idea.
But now as you mentioned gradualistic patterns of history it seems that
similar to "the real world's CA" ideas can be back-traced to 1644, Rene
Descartes' works and drawing of the heavens. Descartes' starry sky is
divided into polygons, each with a star at its center. Each star holds sway
over a polyhedral region of the sky. Thus space is like a froth of soap
bubbles (a set of cells controlled by their nucleuses). Descartes isolated
the stars-dots following a very simple rule - by expansive filling of a
space - which (raster version of it) in fact is just one more case of the CA
! The method today is widely used in all fields of science (contemporary
astrophysics, biology, quantum physics, GIS, etc...) and is known under
several names - Voronoi diagrams, Thiesen polygons, Spatial tessellations
(hmm... gradualistic history), etc. There is also a vector based method to
draw those cells - (not so interesting for this discussion :) therefore).
Also Descartes' idea of the Universe being a machine is close to Zuses'
Rechnender Raum" and ideas of contemporary digital physicists.

Descartes' theory of forces working through contact (we'd call it
communication) comes very close to CA again.

Besides one of core-statements of today's complexity research - the idea
that the dynamics of systems can tend, by themselves, to make it more
orderly can also be backtraced to the fifth part of Descartes' Discourse on
Method. He further elaborated on the idea at great length in Le Monde which,
unfortunately :-(, was not officially (or was it ?..) published.

I think someone could try looking for similar ideas in treatises of ancient
Arabian or Indian mathematicians or philosophers... And who knows...

With kind regards
Viktoras