[Fis] Re: Minkowski space measurable ? (was: [Fis] Re: Information and communication)

From: Michel Petitjean <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 01 Jun 2004 - 12:31:19 CEST

To: <fis@listas.unizar.es>
Subject: [Fis] Re: Minkowski space measurable ?
(was: [Fis] Re: Information and communication)

Dear Loet,

You wrote:
> The four-dimensional
> probability distribution representing a hyperspace can encompass the
> various geometrical and temporal subdynamics plus their interaction
> terms.

I am not sure that a 4-dimensional distribution (3 spatial + 1 temporal)
is adequate here: consider the marginal distribution on the temporal
axis: it means that observations from this marginal distribution
could be considered. But instants are not at random, and time is
not a random variable.

> In general, a structure can be modeled as a network at each moment in
> time and thus, be represented as a two-dimensional probability
> distribution (matrix). Over time this structure can develop along a
> trajectory along the time axis. This can be modeled as three-dimensional
> probability distribution. Interacting structures can then be modeled
> using a four-dimensional probability distribution. Information theory
> provides us with the tools for the statistical decomposition.

OK. Here we rediscover stochastic processes: probability of transition
between two states is a well-known concept. Markov chains and Markov
processes are examples of stochastic processes. Trajectories along
the time may be studied. We can build complex models for a system
evoluting along the time, but it do not see how it handles the
relativistic relation between space and time. In fact, is this
relativistic relation indeed useful in information and communication
sciences ?

Best regards,

Michel Petitjean Email: petitjean@itodys.jussieu.fr
Editor-in-Chief of Entropy entropy@mdpi.org
ITODYS (CNRS, UMR 7086) ptitjean@ccr.jussieu.fr
1 rue Guy de la Brosse Phone: +33 (0)1 44 27 48 57
75005 Paris, France. FAX : +33 (0)1 44 27 68 14
http://www.mdpi.net http://www.mdpi.org
http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.html
http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.freeware.html