Re: [Fis] definition(s) of disorder/chaos: an example

From: Rafael Capurro <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 03 Jun 2004 - 13:06:25 CEST

Dear Michel,

your question on "indistiguishable points" depends on what you understand by
"point."
There is a famous definition of points by Aristotle in his Physics (V, 3) in
which he distinguishes between natural beings (physei onta), points
(stigme), and unity (monas).
- physei onta are charakterized by unity, place and position (hen,
topos,thetos)
- points (stigme) are characterized by lack of place (atopos), position
(thetos) and touch (syneches, continuum)
- unity (monas) is charakterized by lack of place (atopos) and lack of
position (athetos)
There is a progressive detachment (or separation: chorismos) of points and
unity from natural beings, i.e. a process of "abs-traction")

As far as I can see your question concerning the discernability of points is
only decidable (following Aristotle) only with regard to their "position"
(i.e. to their "positioning"). To give a point a place (for instance in an
electro-magnetic medium) means to increase order (in the sense of increasing
discernability or distuishability). But this medium being "global" we still
have a high degree of generality.
If you understand German, you will find a more detailed analysis of this
(following Heidegger's paths) in my contribution to a "digital ontology"
http://www.capurro.de/digont.htm

kind regards

Rafael