Re: [Fis] Entropy, Information and Quantum Coherence

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 05 Jun 2004 - 22:44:54 CEST

Replying to Guy (and Loet) --

First, I suspect that Koichiro's use of "measurement or experiencing" is
not meant to distinguish between them, but is just a relabelling because he
is identifying experiencing with measurement in simple, generalized systems.

That said, Guy's distinctions still hold in general. One could state them
as {from among what might be {we find this {which we interpret as...}}}.
The innermost level here refers to semiotics (study of the construction and
interpretation of meaning), a discourse not referred to much on fis, and
not explicitly in natural science at all. This despite the fact that some
semioticans have begun to think about science as a realm which deploys
meanings because of the obvious fact that Loet points out -- interpretation
requires various models used by the system of interpretance (the scientific
discourse in Loet's example). And, of course, constructivists like to
point out that my "from among what might be" is itself constructed by a
system of interpretance, as it focuses its attention according to its
previous experience.

STAN