[Fis] 2004 FIS session: concluding comments

From: Michel Petitjean <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 14 Jun 2004 - 13:49:01 CEST

To: <fis@listas.unizar.es>
Subj: 2004 FIS session: concluding comments

Dear FISers,

I would like to thank all participants to the 2004 FIS session,
focussing on "Entropy and Information". Excellent contributions
were posted on the forum, offering a wide range of opinions.
It was a great honor for me to chair this session, and I am
grateful to you for each of your numerous comments, which were very
informative. We discussed about Entropy and Information, but also
about order, disorder, chaos, symmetry, distinguishability,
communication, bioinformation, and many other related concepts.
Many pertinent ideas were emitted about all these concepts.
Nevertheless, I doubt that we all agree about any aspect of Entropy,
Information, and related topics. Thus there are still open problems:
- The relations between informational entropy and thermodynamical
entropy seems still controversal
- How symmetry is related to entropy is still not elucidated
(various theories proposed)
- How define disorder for time independant numerical data ?
- What are the relations between randomness and chaos ?
- Etc...
It was a pleasure discuss about these problems, and I guess that these
discussions will continue a long time after closing the session.

Moreover, as for all FIS sessions, we take advantage of the
electronic conference system, because oral comments emitted during
non electronic conference are lost, although all comments of
the FIS sessions are saved:
http://fis.iguw.tuwien.ac.at/mailings : archives
http://fis.iguw.tuwien.ac.at : FIS welcome page
http://www.mdpi.net/entropy/conferences.html (the links above).

Gyuri, Pedro and me are very pleased to announce that we offer
to participants the opportunity to submit their work for publication
in a special issue:
- Either in the journal <<Symmetry>>, ISSN 0865-4824
(Gyuri is the Editor in Chief, and I am editing the special issue).
- Or in the journal <<Entropy>>, ISSN 1099-4300

The deadline is 1 October 2004 for both journals.
Instructions for authors:
- Symmetry: http://www.geocities.com/symmetrion/
(more instructions will be communicated later)
- Entropy: http://www.mdpi.net/entropy
(click on the "Instructions for Authors" box)

As stated by Pedro, FISers may send their concluding comments
until the final closure of the session occurs, at the end of June.

Finally, many thanks to Pedro for the organization of the 2004 FIS
session, which receives a large success.

Best regards,

Michel Petitjean Email: petitjean@itodys.jussieu.fr
Editor-in-Chief of Entropy entropy@mdpi.org
ITODYS (CNRS, UMR 7086) ptitjean@ccr.jussieu.fr
1 rue Guy de la Brosse Phone: +33 (0)1 44 27 48 57
75005 Paris, France. FAX : +33 (0)1 44 27 68 14
http://www.mdpi.net http://www.mdpi.org
http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.html
http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.freeware.html