RE: [Fis] Re: Shannon Entropy

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 14 Jun 2004 - 19:25:40 CEST

> > So far, we?ve heard in our FIS discussion that Shannon
> entropy is pure
> > mathematics
> Thats true, it is a mathematical expression which can be
> applied to many systems having probability dostributions. and
> therefore completely separate from the entropy described
> > by Boltzmann et al.
> For me not completely separated, but realted !!!

Dear Werner,

I am happy to see you taking this up. I had almost given up on this
discussion, particularly after the ad-hominem arguments about
"Leyerdorff's theory" opposing Michel's reading of Shannon.

I completely agree: Shannon's formula is a mathematical expression that
is formally similar to the Boltzmann equation. The reference to a
physical system is possible, but not necessary.

With kind regards,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

 <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff-sci.htm> The Challenge of
Scientometrics ; <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff.htm> The
Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society