[Fis] Genetic information and entropy

From: Karl Javorszky <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 17 Jun 2004 - 10:37:42 CEST

Let me conclude the opinion offered about how long something <is, will
remain in existence, will resemble itself, ...> relative to how <probable,
usual, odd, made up, deviating,...> is and the other way around.
One extreme of this interrelation between transversal and longitudinal
treatment of symbols on collections of objects is what is being called
"entropy" in its various forms. The other extreme is "biologic information
processing" in its various forms (genetics, senso-motoric coordination,
biochemical - electrical interdependences, consciousness, ...).

The general idea merits restating:
we make pictures of measurements onto a probability number space. Here, the
interdependence of probabilities is what counts, independently of absolute
sizes, forms of matter/energy/space, spatial distances.
What we compare is a) how odd something is in the moment (relative to other
possible collections)
relative to
b) how long it will remain so (how long, relative to sooner or later as
alternatives).

In easy speech: if something is very simple, it will remain so a long time
(entropy). If something is highly complex, it will have to change soon.

We check the meaning behind the terms simple, complex, long time and soon.
This allows understanding theoretical genetics. The checking of the meaning
happens by means of looking into how the classes of oddity are frequent over
all possible collections, and by looking into how many cases of sooner or
later we have (counting the possible time steps). Then we tabulate
complexity vs. life span and find that there is a no na interdependence
between how a thing is made up and when it shall have desintegrated (into
entropy).
This means that there is a logical relation between the position of a
triplet and the ontology of a substance.

Hope this is well understandable, loud and clear. The combinatorics of
theoretical genetics has been found and it is well rooted in information
theory. The general idea compares group structures on a set (a contemporal,
transversal description) with sequences (like the DNA: a linear order on
objects: a longitudinal, spatial/temporal sequence).

If there is a colleague in this FIS group with an interest in information
processing in biology and/or theoretical genetics, I may respectfully invite
him/her to the annual SMB convention in Ann Arbor, USA this July. I shall
repeat this there, too, with opportunities of face to face q&a and drawings
on envelopes.

Karl