RE: [Fis] The Methods of Scientists

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 06 Jul 2004 - 08:48:25 CEST

Dear Michael,

> There seems to be a proliferation of supposition and
> speculation, even obfuscation sometimes, which I'm sure, does
> not follow from a genuine search for nature's secrets, and
> cannot result from the rigorous methods of science. I think,
> and regret, that much of what professional physicists
> produce, these days, is not very good science.

Why should one not be allowed to study society's secrets with the same
rigour and using the mathematical theory of communication? Our discussion
was not about the status of Kuhn's or Popper's books. At issue is the
further development of sciences other than physics.

> Which is why repeated and varied experiments by different
> investigators are necessary. And why real integrity, and
> respect for truth, is so essential to authentic science. As I
> see it, the problem is not with the scientific method, but
> with the methods of some scientists.

In some domains (e.g., human culture) it may be more difficult to repeat
experiments and one has to work with quasi-experimentation, etc. The methods
may have to be further developed in order to stimulate the theoretical
enterprise for searching for truth.

My argument has been that the mathematical theory of communication provides
us with a methodology which can be used for both conservative and
dissipative systems, but that the substance of what is communicated has to
be specified theoretically. For example, a system which communicates in
terms of energy and momenta has different characteristics from a system that
communicates in terms of molecules (living) or statements (meaning). At each
level a special theory of communication can be specified. Actually, the
levels should better be thought as orthogonal axes. Phyics is just one of
them (constructed in the 17th century) and highly respectable when it comes
to explaining natural phenomena.

With kind regards,

Loet