RE: [Fis] probability versus power laws

From: Viktoras Didziulis <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 14 Jul 2004 - 12:16:47 CEST

I will try to express the idea...

Originally Zipf and recently Ramon Ferrer i Cancho, Richard V. Sole (2003)
both attribute Zipf's law to the principle of "least effort".

Now let me translate your question 'how does "data to being plotted as a
power laws suggest systematicity" ?' to 'how can the principle of the least
effort relate with systematicity in terms of structure of a system ?'

Possible answer...
Systems evolve or grow, they respond to changes in their environment, they
have to optimize their structure and performance for optimal functioning
(being a structural part of other systems), or in other words systems
communicate with their environment. Something that is 'not a system' does
not 'care' about optimization of it's performance, growth, development,
adaptation, or any sort of evolution, energy saving (principle of least
efforts) or structural change simply because of the absence of any internal
organization or structure or feedback loop between the 'non-system' or
random system' and it's environment. Its history should be uniform: no
changes in structure, no development, no growth, no evolution, no function,
no communication - no need for the least effort...

As a consequence a structure of any system facing the entropy should be
organized in such a way as to oppose the II-nd law and optimize its
performance against energy losses - e.g. the principle of least effort that
is true for language also works elsewhere (any other communication). How
does it look like ?
Design features of a communication system are the result of interaction
between the constraints and demands of the job required (Hauser, M.D., 1996.
The evolution of communication). Probably differentiation of parts according
to their functioning scales is the right answer. So we have several large
elements performing some specific functions, and much larger amounts of
smaller elements that do 'finer and more precise functionality'. And it is
likely that aranging systems internals (elements, design features,
communication system) according to Zipf's law is the optimal solution. Thus
my speculative (as always :) ) conclusion would be that zipf's law is
observed in systems trying to compensate entropy related energy or
information loss. If it is 'not a system' - it will not try to optimize
anything... And it's elements will not follow the Zipf's law. The same as a
dice or a coin will not attempt to optimize themselves (and the random
result they produce) according to environmental conditions...

Best regards
Viktoras