Re: [Fis] sad news

From: Pedro C. Mariju�n <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 07 Sep 2004 - 10:45:55 CEST

Herewith is Ray's obituary I have found in the web. ---Pedro

Ray Paton (1954-2004)
(Department of Computer Science of the University of Liverpool)

It is with great sadness that the Department of Computer Science must
announce the death of Dr Ray Paton on 29 July 2004.
Ray entered academia relatively late in life, after a spell as a teacher in
a Liverpool high school. He joined the Department of Computer Science in
1989, initially as a research assistant in the area of knowledge-based
systems. He became a Lecturer in 1991, and was promoted to Senior Lecturer
in 2001, and then Reader in January 2004.
Ray's main research interests were at the intersection of biology and
computer science. He was an original, influential, and charismatic
researcher, with collaborators across the world. Many computer scientists
with an interest in biology are met with skepticism by researchers in the
biology community, but Ray had the rare ability to win over researchers in
both computer science and biology with his vision. Those who worked with
him will readily attest to his enthusiasm and willingness to listen, and
his skill at making connections between people and ideas. The author of
innumerable research papers and books, Ray was also involved in founding
and editing several journals.
As well as being a successful academic, Ray was a dedicated and loving
father and husband: He is survived by his wife Christine and two sons,
Daniel and Andrew. Our thoughts are with them.
If you would like to make a charitable donation in memory of Ray, the
family have asked you to make this to Life Blood (the Thrombosis Charity),
PO Box 1050, Spalding, Lincs PE12 6YF
http://www.thrombosis-charity.org.uk/index.htm
If you have a question connected with Ray's professional activities, we ask
that you email Ms Katrina Houghton K.Houghton@csc.liv.ac.uk in the first
instance. The Department will maintain Ray's web page for the foreseeable
future.