Re: [Fis]: Re: Distribution of Energy is (not) the same as disorder?

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 11 Sep 2004 - 00:05:28 CEST

Below Michel asks about Jerry's phrase, the "distribution of energy". As I
was reading Jerry's posting, I spontaneously translated his "distribution"
into 'dispersion'. I found that this way I could clearly visualize what he
was saying. So, I guess I should ask Jerry if one could substitute
'dispersion' for 'distribution', thereby obviating some of Michel's
worries. My reasoning is straightforward: 'distribution' could refer to
any pattern whatever, while 'dispersion' signifies spread-outness, thus
capturing the essence of the traditional use of 'disorder' in
thermodynamics talk. To me, as well, dispersion suggests a lowest free
energy pattern, as a gradient would be better symbolized by a mound or lump
of stuff -- a nice dollop of ice cream instead of melted pool of liquid
spread out on a plate. So, I advocate 'dispersion of energy' as being the
same as -- or indeed, a definition of -- 'disorder'.

STAN