[Fis] CONSILIENCE & Interdisciplinarity

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Sun 26 Sep 2004 - 09:22:12 CEST

> In the figures,
> every number corresponds to an existing subdiscipline formed
> by a basic science working outside its "preferred" level
> e.g., 1: chemical physics, 2: biophysics, 5:
> biochemistry, 8: psychobiology, 10: psychosociology, etc.
> (see figures and complete text).

Dear Pedro and colleagues,

These questions about the relations between disciplines and specialities can
be studied empirically by using the aggregated citations among journals. At
the aggregated level the incidental citations among fields become
insignificant and the pattern of citations comes to the fore. I have worked
on these matrices intensively since 1986. A recent paper is:

Clusters and Maps of <http://www.leydesdorff.net/jcr01/art/index.htm>
Science Journals Based on Bi-connected Graphs in the Journal Citation
Reports, Journal of Documentation, 60(4), 2004, 371-427. [The classification
and mapping of journals in the Science Citation Index 2001 is available at
http://www.leydesdorff.net/jcr01.] <pdf-version
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/jcr01/jdoc04.pdf> >

As an example, I feeded the citation pattern 2003 of the journal Biosystems
into the system
.

Rotated Component Matrix(a)

Component

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

TRENDS GENET

.948

.175

.107

BIOESSAYS

.925

.170

.141

.138

.150

CELL

.867

.165

.122

.187

P NATL ACAD SCI USA

.845

.233

.147

.329

.141

BIOCHEM BIOPH RES CO

.802

.142

.351

.113

J MOL EVOL

.762

.171

.128

.110

.309

-.221

NATURE

.723

.257

.305

.228

.120

.148

.296

SCIENCE

.722

.257

.302

.196

.121

.143

.270

GENETICS

.694

-.124

.148

-.103

-.147

-.121

-.209

-.390

ANN NY ACAD SCI

.674

.627

.179

.115

NUCLEIC ACIDS RES

.622

.368

.506

-.206

BIOSYSTEMS

.590

.149

.272

.145

.379

.277

J NEUROPHYSIOL

.910

J NEUROSCI

.295

.866

BIOL CYBERN

.826

NEURON

.466

.735

.125

J PHYSIOL-LONDON

.719

AM NAT

.864

.224

EVOLUTION

.118

-.117

.843

-.228

P ROY SOC LOND B BIO

.341

.829

.206

.118

TRENDS ECOL EVOL

.431

.813

.147

.123

PHYS REV E

.914

PHYS REV LETT

.875

PHYSICA D

.875

CHAOS SOLITON FRACT

.783

BIOCHEMISTRY-US

.234

.872

BIOPHYS J

.201

.100

.806

J MOL BIOL

.443

.753

.240

B MATH BIOL

.222

.188

.904

.191

J MATH BIOL

-.102

.108

.848

-.151

-.115

J THEOR BIOL

.437

.299

.158

.718

.188

EVOL COMPUT

.956

IEEE T EVOLUT COMPUT

.941

INT J SYST EVOL MICR

-.143

.740

BIOINFORMATICS

.523

.220

.131

.615

-.230

ARTIF LIFE

.266

-.102

.132

.691

Extraction Method: Principal Component Analysis. Rotation Method: Varimax
with Kaiser Normalization.

a Rotation converged in 9 iterations.

This is based on the citing patterns. The factor matrix clearly shows the
interdisciplinary position of the journal in the relevant citation
environments..

Similarly, one can generate a picture of the cited patterns of each journal.

With kind regards,

Loet
  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

 <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff-sci.htm> The Challenge of
Scientometrics ; <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff.htm> The
Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society

biosys.gif