Re: [Fis] Interdisciplinary consilience?

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 02 Oct 2004 - 00:11:39 CEST

With respect to the below, it motivates me to briefly review my own efforts
at 'consilience' -- the specification hierarchy of integrative levels,
using the traditional natural sciences. It is:
{logic {physics {chemistry {biology {sociology {psychology}}}}}} (using
these labels in this case not as discourses, but as realms of being). This
general approach begins at least with Comte (who dealt instead with
discourses), perhaps earlier. Eavh pair of brackets represents an
emergence, in the sense that, reading from the Big Bang, physical phenomena
appeared first, then chemical, etc. Each integrative level is a refinement
of the one that applies more generally in the world, found to its left.
That is, biology is a KIND OF chemistry, etc., in the sense that biological
phenomena are found in more restricted regions than are chemical ones, AND
that biology depends upon chemical principles in order to come into
existence. Or, chemistry is a material cause of biology. That is the view
from the lowest integrative level {lower level -> gives rise to {upper
level}}. Going the other way we find that this is not a reductionist
construct. Here we see that biology regulates chemistry, harnesses it to
its own interests. So, {chemistry <- regulated by {biology}}. Biology is
here a formal cause of certain chemical phenomena. Chemistry is more
basic, biology more 'superior'. The system is flexible enough so that new
levels may be introduced if required -- thus, {chemistry {biochemistry
{biology}}}, taking care of some interdisciplinarity.

So, whatever applies to physical phenomena applies as well all the way up
the line. The arrows, ->, are transitive here. As well, the other arrow,
<-, IF read as exerting influence, is also transitive, BUT, as in set
theory, from which this organization as classes and subclasses is taken,
the properties of higher levels are NOT transitive downward. Formally a
specification hierarchy branches as well. This allows for fields like
hydrodynamics, which might be taken to study the 'organisms' of physics --
macroscopic vortices.

The innermost levels here are problematic in that one could make a case for
psychology to precede sociology, but also the reverse. A society is
manifestly present more generally in the world than is an individual
psychology, which, also, is regulated by the society in its development.
Note that the property of individuality increases up to the right in the
hierarchy, and psychologies are alo more individuted than sociologies.
Yet, within an indvidual its psychology regulates how social principles
will be interpreted.