[Fis] Fluid Foundations

From: Terry Marks-Tarlow <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 07 Oct 2004 - 17:49:55 CEST

I�d like to address Aleks� third point about mathematics having drifted into
senescence because nobody is questioning this move towards greater and
greater discretization. I believe this is no longer true. There is a
fledgling field within cognitive psychology called �mathematical idea
analysis,� outlined by George Lakoff and Ralph Nunez in their 2002 book,
�Where Mathematics Comes From: How the Embodied Mind Brings Mathematics Into
Being.� The authors claim that all abstract theory is embodied in origin and
so begins concretely as sensorimotor experience during infancy that is
systematically bootlegged into abstraction with maturation, both
individually and collectively.

Within mathematics, not even so basic a concept as number is immune. At
least three entirely different metaphors for number exist --�objects in a
set,� �points on a line,� and �units of measurement.� Lakoff and Nunez show
how entailments from each metaphor, plus blends between them, pave the way
for entirely different branches of study. What is particularly interesting
is how different foundational metaphors can result in INCOMPATIBLE notions
of similar concepts, such as that of infinity. On the one hand, Newton�s
method of limits in calculus and entailments by Cantor lead to the notion of
transfinite numbers, including different sizes of infinity. On the other
hand, metaphors available through Leibniz�s alternative method of calculus
lead to the notion of infinitesimals. Entailments extending the metaphor to
granular numbers, posit a system of immeasurably �huge� numbers
incommensurate with the transfinites.

It seems to me that such an approach allows for a less reified, more fluid
view, than one which takes for granted this relentless enterprise of
breaking the universe up into smaller and smaller discrete objects. Rather
than applying the agenda of discretization to the continuity of things,
perhaps this notion of conscilience that we are discussing relates to a
figure/ground reversal, by applying the agenda of making more continuous
that which has previously viewed as discrete.

Cheers,
Terry Marks-Tarlow