[Fis] consilience

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 23 Oct 2004 - 00:02:53 CEST

Here is an abstract found:

04.01. Neuroeconomics: The Consilience of Brain and Decision , Science

Excerpts: Economics, psychology, and neuroscience are converging today into
a single, unified discipline with the ultimate aim of providing a single,
general theory of human behavior. This is the emerging field of
neuroeconomics in which consilience, the accordance of two or more
inductions drawn from different groups of phenomena, seems to be operating.
(...) The goal of this discipline is thus to understand the processes that
connect sensation and action by revealing the neurobiological mechanisms by
which decisions are made. This review describes recent developments in
neuroeconomics (...).

* Neuroeconomics: The Consilience of Brain and Decision, Paul W. Glimcher ,
Aldo Rustichini , 04/10/15, Science, 447-452

Recently, on this thread Koichiro said:
> Descriptive appraisal of the finite spatio-temporal horizon may be done
>in the tenses other than the present tense, such as the present progressive
>tense. At issue may be how could the idea of consilience be applied to
>descriptions in different tenses. At the least, if we think information is a
>serious matter, it would also require for us to pay attention to the
>presence of finite spatio-temporal horizons in the sense that there may be
>no information if there are no surprises. That is the internalist stance.

     SS; I will say first that the specification hierarchy I have been
advancing, and ANY hierarchy, is an externalist construct, comparing
subects as if seen from outside. So, consilience constructed by way of
reworking knowledge from any subject in the light of constraints imposed by
another subject matter (at a higher level) (the Wilsonia version) could not
be recast in other than the universal present tense. Another consilience I
advanced (as an example of the consilience of inductions) is the
universality of the canonical developmental trajectory, immaturity ->
maturity -> senescence, can be restated in more internalist tenses (see
Matsuno & Salthe, 2002, Int. J. Gen. Systems 31: 377ff.) but the
trajectory as such (as a concept) remains outside.