RE: [Fis] consilience of limited observers

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 25 Oct 2004 - 09:24:35 CEST

Dear Aleks,

One can expect that each network contains a structure. The network is built
up relationally, but once in place it has an architecture. This structure
can be described parsimoneously using its main axes, for example, using
factor or cluster analysis. Each of these axes enables us to take a
perspective from which the structure can be described hierarchically. In
other words, one can expect a variety of perspectives allowing for
hierarchies.

When the perspectives can again be communicated like in science (in terms of
observational reports) a second-order network layer is shaped relationally.
Then one expects another set of eigenvectors and perspectives in this
next-order network. When the first-order and the second-order networks
resonate a system of communications tends to be closed like in a paradigm.
In some sciences, one can expect therefore more paradigms than in others.

For example, in physics the first-order perspectives are considered to be
"data" that is given to us (in a Revelation?). In economics, different
perspectives can compete while one agrees on the second-order perspective,
but the data is constructed. In sociology, both levels are constructed and
one hence can expect more than two 'paradigms'.

Thus, there is a non-linear dynamics in the "consilience" of the reflections
along different axes.

With kind regards,

Loet