Re: [Fis] Consilience and Structure

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 08 Nov 2004 - 23:39:58 CET

A comment on Malcolm's posting: On "what we know" with regard to color, it
is interesting to note that, while we mammals have three kinds of retinal
cones, birds apparently have four! That is to say that different kinds of
organisms live in what Jacob vob Uexkull called different Umwelten. What
there is in the world is a mutual construct between external objects and a
system of interpretance that interacts with those objects. Red, yellow and
blue are our interpretants of relations between wavelengths, but birds make
different interpretants. Those looking for solid knowledge of the world
would likely want to stick to wavelengths, but, of course, these too are
constructs of human devised detection machines. Given something
fundamental about waves, it seemed natural to trace them to oscilltions of
something. This move makes a huge consilience, as everything we intimately
know of, from political success through heartbeats to diurnal fluctuations
of light and dark mark oscillatons.

STAN