Re: [Fis] Consilience and Structure

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Sun 14 Nov 2004 - 23:50:00 CET

Koichiro's multiply pregnant posting stimultes me to take up my own
outrageous point again, just to make sure that I have made it clear (so all
and sundry can decompose into laughter!).
     The multiple worlds I was postulating derived from" observation" being
frequently made by every complicated enough dynamical system within the
universe (equating 'observation' with a kind of interactive dynamics that
might cause decoherence). This means that where I find myself at any
moment comes complete with a coherent memory (known to be multiply "false"
in any case!). The important point comes with one's own attitude --
emotionally postive or negative. If positive, my actions will create, in
almost every moment, a world + memory favorable to my being, if negative,
etc. Thus, consider the case when my car on a crowded road slipped on
spilled oil, took flight in the direction of oncoming traffic, but at the
last moment something in its rear hit the low dividing fence between the
roadbeds and my car twisted back in the direction of its own roadbed again,
landing fairly softly and moving in its original direction, if wiggling a
bit. One -- a rather unlikely one -- of the multiple possible worlds
branching off at that instant came to be, I can only say because my
'spiritual orientation' at the moment was positive. BUT, for others at the
scene this is NOT what happened at all. The next day in most of the
branched off worlds there was a news item about a calamitous crash in which
the unfortunate driver was killed, as were others [I can still see the
faces in the oncoming cars looking up at me as I was suspended before them
just prior to the (in my world) rectifying bump in the rear saved us all.].
So, in many -- even most -- other worlds I have been gone these many years,
but here I am in my own. So, will this go on forever? Not so, I think.
One gets tired of the everyday debilitating insults from the weather, from
disease, from pests, from all things one is NOT CONSCIOUS OF that are
continually generating annoyances, from colds to floods, that fill our
days. I have yet to experience a disaster tht I anticipated. But you
cannot anticipate everything, and the bad event always comes upon one from
"nowhere". Eventually one says, with Count Dracula, "Oh, to hell with it
all!", and with this attitude, the killing event will soon befall. This is
not unrelated I suppose to the fact that a positive attitude can suppress
the growth of cancer, for example. Unfortunately this view does bear the
burden of accusing those that fail, and those that die, of not bracing up
well enough. Their demise was their own fault! This seems at least to
lack compassion. But I have not infrequently found that what seemed to me
to be a "truth" was extremely unpalatable (like my conviction that we all
first and foremost serve the Second Law of thermodynamics). Well, I have
used up my weekly ration of postings.

In a minor key,
STAN