Re: [Fis] Consilience and Structure

From: Malcolm Forster <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 22 Nov 2004 - 09:33:07 CET

Dear Rafael, et al.,

I was not making any arguments, just guessing why I was not understanding
everything very well. Perhaps I'm just wrong about that.

Anyway, I think I now get the gist of what you are saying, and it sounds
right to me. I like what William Whewell says about what he calls the
fundamental philosophical antithesis between subject and object, reprinted
in:

Butts, Robert E. (ed.) (1989). William Whewell: Theory of Scientific Method.
Hackett Publishing Company, Indianapolis/Cambridge.

Whewell's view is that subjective and objective elements are inseparable
parts of all knowledge. All knowledge is subjective, but this does not
preclude it from being objective as well. Interestingly, Whewell's
consilience of inductions is a method for testing how well our conceptions
(the subjective element of our knowledge) succeeds in carving nature at its
joints (my paraphrase). So, the consilience of inductions, which
essentially involves the use of conceptions, points us towards the truth.
Science tests and improves its conceptions by this consilience of
inductions, and this is a never-ending process of improvement. This is quite
distinct from John Stuart Mill's view that correct scientific conceptions
are determined by (seen in) the empirical facts from the beginning. Mill's
empiricism was an early form of logical empricism.

Everyone I know disagrees with Mill--it was Kuhn, in part, who educated
analytical philosophers about the so-called theory-ladeness of observation
(although logical empiricists such as Carnap also recognized this). But
it's still not widely known that Whewell, in constrast to Mill, embraced the
concept-ladeness all the way down to perception as an essential element of
human knowledge, and had a sophisticated view about why human knowledge is
nevertheless objective (to the extent that it is) thanks to, and not in
spite of, our use of mental conceptions. Without the subjective element,
there is no consilience of inductions, and therefore no objectivity.
Perhaps this is oversimplified a bit, but it shows how very different it is
from Mill's empiricism.

Cheers,
Malcolm