RE: [Fis] Consilience: Writing on the Clouds

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 25 Nov 2004 - 09:01:34 CET

Dear John, Pedro, and colleagues,

I agree with John that citations are a mixed bag because citation is a
complex indicator. In some cases it provides mainly a link between authors
(colleagues, competitors, etc.) and in other cases it provides a relation
between two texts without the authors necessarily knowing each other. One
can cross-table citing/cited texts and citing and cited authors and then
distinguish four types of citation with four respective selection
environments. [See my paper with Olga Amsterdamska, "Dimensions of Citation
Analysis," Science, Technology and Human Values 15 (1990) 305-335; at
http://www.leydesdorff.net/sthv90/ ]

At the higher level of aggregation of inter-journal relations, however,
specific selection mechanisms can be expected to prevail in the
distributional patterns. The networks among the journals provide us with a
kind of baseline which is beyond control for individual authors. This
structure is reproduced at the level of the journal system with remarkable
stability, but it also exhibits change in the longer run. One can consider
this as a prime example of the self-organization of communication at the
supra-individual level. The codes of the communication in the discourse at
the journal level guide the underlying selection processes by individual
agents and contributors.

A special issue about "Theories of Citation" was published by the journal
Scientometrics in 1998, Vol. 43, no. 1.

With kind regards,

Loet
  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
[email protected] ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/