REPRESENTATIONAL ENTITIES and MORE RE: [Fis] Consilience: Writing on the Clouds

From: Heiner Benking <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 26 Nov 2004 - 13:50:49 CET

> Dear John and colleagues,
>
> Thanks for the many insights.
... <snip>

> >But I do find it helpful to think of 'consilience' not as a
> >representational entity but
> >as a direction - vertical (within a discipline), horizontal (across
> >disciplines) immanent
> >(operating within a particular theory) or transcendent (having general
> >validity).
> >
> >The major discoveries in science have occurred less as a result of
> >geniuses 'jumping together' than an individual 'jumping to a conclusion'
> >(spotting a similarity that makes a difference) - then bunji jumping with
> >it off a wall of accepted inductive practise while hanging perilously
> over
> >the scientific and lay communities. Archimedes' bath, Newton's putative
> >apple, Descartes' crawling flies, Bohm's televised pair of goldfish,
> >Nash's sophomores in a bar etc exemplify episodes of vertical
> consilience.
> >Whereas Crick and Watson's double helix was possibly more the result of
> >that horizontal cross-disciplinary fertilisation of ideas which
> >characterises contemporary discoveries.
> >

> >One criticism of the Wilsonian consilience has been that (in the wake of
> >the quasi-mystical pronouncements of European postmodernism) it would
> lead
> >us back to the mechanistic rationality and certainties of the
> >Enlightenment, his 'lawful material world'. This of course mirrors and
> >supports the reductio-fundamentalism of contemporary politics and
> religion
> >(our global colony of ants). Wilson tries to recoil against the tenses
> and
> >tensions of our post-quantum world (Koichiro's 'present progressive' and
> >'present perfect) and would return us to the certainty of nouns and
> >adjectives (those good ole boys, the
> >-ences, -ities and -isms of received wisdom).
> >
> ><In this metaphor, analytical philosophy has been devoted to "within
> cloud"
> >
> ><processes and laws (inner conceptual structure), while continental
> >
> ><philosophy has approached (often ideologically) to the winds and
> currents

Dear FIS'ers Group
Me jumping in now is quite late, but let me tell you that I am and was
excited and learned a lot form all your deep contributions.

The Biological "baseline" of Wilsonian Consilience was never stable and
broad enough for me and so I was happy to find here some "co-thinkers" who
are also exploring the extra, other and the beyond.

I would love to have this CONSILIENCE Dicussion ongoing forever - at least
for some time. Maybe as a start I would like to point you to the
INTENATIONAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF SYSTEMS AND CYBERNETICS, sonn also in 3rd
growing edition in a media WIKI, but fora now already in the new 2nd edition
I feel there is enough to ponder with Consilience in an extensional
"REPRESENTATIONAL ENTITY???" or "model" type of framework, something I
explore for some years now.
MAYBE you like a synchron-optical and -thematical approach of my spacescape
CRYSTALLFRAMEWORK or balckbox - whitebox approach which CHARLES FRANCOIS in
his Encyclopedia so aptly and terse condensed to a few line for each entry.
maybe you enjoy this "entries"

0479 COGNITIVE PANORAMA 1) - 2) 1
0484 COGNITIVE SPACES 1) 1
0999 ECO-CUBE/KNOW MAP 1) - 2) - 3) 2
2001 MAP (Mental) 2) - 3) 2
2002 MAP TERRITORY RELATION 2) - 3) 3
2003 MAPPING 2) 3
2104 METAPHORIC FRAMEWORK 1) - 2) - 4) 3
2105 METAPHORS (Classes of) 2) 3
2228 MULTI-PERSPECTIVISM 1) - 2) - 4) 4
2462 PANORAMA OF UNDERSTANDING 1) - 2) 4
2463 PANORAMA THINKING 1) - 2) 4

here
http://benking.de/systems/encyclopedia/encyclopedia-entries-benking.htm

in order to discuss if it "Acceptable and Allowed" to combine a General
SYSTEMS and MODELS Theory (GST) and GMT).
I have presented this revently under the COVENANT as an orienting
generalisation - which I feel is close to what you call CONWSILIENCE.
maybe see folio 2 and 5-7 as a starter at:
http://benking.de/education/gld/slides/

maybe we could also widen the number of participants on this very central
nad important topic?

Best
Heiner

--