RE: [Fis] Consilience: Writing on the Clouds

From: Robert Ulanowicz <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 01 Dec 2004 - 20:23:41 CET

Dear Folks,

I'm sorry I was traveling and missed most of the discussion on
Consilience.

I just wanted to add my very short postscript:

In my opinion, Wilson's Consilience is an attempt at revanchism -- a
futile effort to put the genie of postmodernism back in its bottle. It
fails to do so, because it devotes probably less than a full page overall
to postmodernism, and then simply to dismiss it as the rantings of cranks.

I was most impressed with the riposte by Wendell Berry, an American poet,
who wrote the small book, "Life is a Miracle: An Essay against Modern
Superstition" (Counterpoint, New York [2000]). Berry deconstructs Wilson's
consilience using only only reason and almost no technical details.

Peace,
Bob

Robert E. Ulanowicz | Tel: (410) 326-7266
Chesapeake Biological Laboratory | FAX: (410) 326-7378
P.O. Box 38 | Email <ulan@cbl.umces.edu>
1 Williams Street | Web <http://www.cbl.umces.edu/~ulan>
Solomons, MD 20688-0038 |